Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Chocolate Cake Tasting Party

To thank all of our local friends for all the meals, help with with our daughter, rides to the hospital, and emotional support, Ryan and I hosted a chocolate cake tasting party in November. Why chocolate cake? Because each time I've had a good remission test result, we've celebrated with a piece, and the party happened to coincide with receiving the news that I'm still in remission. (Two years now, three to go until I'm considered cured.)
 
The party, with so many dear friends, was wonderful. The cakes delicious. Our only regret is that so many of those who helped us through this ordeal weren't local. (In retrospect, we should have FedEx'ed the leftovers!)
 
Below is a pictorial summary of the event:


We had five full-size cakes in the competition. Guests received a voting card, one side of which had room for notes, and the other side contained the voting ballet for the three categories- Best Looking, Best Taste, Best in Show. We decided to have guests cut their own pieces,
so that we wouldn't waste cake (throwing away chocolate cake is a crime!)
At the end of the evening, we handed out Chinese take-out containers,
so guests could take some of the extra cake home.
 
 
We displayed the cakes amongst white flower floral arrangements that contained chocolate roses,
which I had specially made from a chocolate shop.
The other decorations were brown and gold.
 
 
Each of the cakes in the competition had meaning to Rob and me. It was a blind taste testing, so after the ballots were turned in, we shared the below details with our friends:
 


"Death by Chocolate" from the A&P Supermarket bakery
Cost: $26
Our close friends, John and Vanessa, who were there for us through the daily grind of my hospital stay, recovery, and chemo treatments, introduced us to this cake for one of my first remission celebration moments.
The inside had layers of chocolate cake and fudge / chocolate frosting

Customized cake from Sugarflake Bakery in Wyckoff
Cost: $55 post $5 coupon
The theme of this cake matches the theme of my blog,
and the attitude my family has tried to maintain since my diagnosis.
The inside had layers of chocolate cake and pudding filling.



"Our Famous Turtle" from Cafe Latte in Minneapolis
Cost: $38, excluding shipping costs
When Rob and I were dating in Minneapolis, Cafe Latte was one of our favorite restaurants,
and we always ended the meal with a slice of this cake. Since then, my mother-in-law
brings us each a piece whenever she visits.
Rob's twin brother, Derek, shipped this cake to us for the party (thank you Derek!)
The layers contained chocolate fudge, caramel, and pecans.
 
 


Chocolate Rosettes, homemade by Mom
Cost: $18 for ingredients
It goes without saying that this entry was particularly special to me.
My mom made these same rosettes for my sister-in-law's bachelorette party, since Jen had a rose-themed wedding.
There was no fudging layering in these, and so were a big hit for the guests who favor a slightly less sweet dessert.
 
 
Seven-Layer Chocolate Cake from The Palm in Manhattan
Cost: $85
This was our favorite cake while living in NYC. In advance of our wedding, we took a slice of the cake on the plane and give it to the baker at our reception venue, with the request to model our wedding cake after it.
As the name suggests, the cake contained seven layers of chocolate cake and a fudgy/mouse filling.
The box it came in was from a place called Sweet Street Bakery, so if anyone not in NYC wants to try this cake, it can be ordered here: Sweet Street Bakery

 

And the winners are... but first, a few more pics:







My parents surprised me by flying in for the event, and helping out with all the prep work.
The sweetest treat of all!

 
 GORGEOUS roses from Bill and Emily, who couldn't make it to the party.
Thank you!!!
 
And a few of the voting cards:
 



 

And now, the winners:


 

Best Taste:

 
 Cake #1 took second place.

 

Best Looking:



Cake #2 took second place.
 
 

Best in Show:


Cake #1 took second place.
 
In fact, Cake #5 was so popular, even more so after the results were announced, that it was the top choice for guests as they filled their take-home containers.
No one in my family had a chance to have a slice, which is just fine: The next time I receive a good remission test result, I know where we'll be headed.
 

 Again, thank you to all who have helped our family during my treatment. Here's to many more years of friendship and many more slices of cake!

 

4 comments:

  1. This chocolate-cake-tasting-party looks awesome. This is fun and I love cakes. affordable hotel in bangkok

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Serenity Autumn, currently living in Texas city, USA. I am a widow at the moment with Four kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in May 2019 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan firms both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it, I was introduced to a woman of God a private loan lender who gave me a loan of 850,000.00 USD and today am a business owner and my kids are doing well at the moment, if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan without collateral , no credit check, no co signer with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule, please contact Mrs Mr Bejamin Lee On Email 247officedept@gmail.com   And Whats-App +1-989-394-3740. He doesn't know that am doing this but am so happy now and i decided to let people know more about him and also i want God to bless him more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine, I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that I have received my herbal medicine so he instructed me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cures my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On: Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ Whatsapp:+2348149277967. He listed that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer,Brain cancer,Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Leukemia,Liver cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Multiple myeloma,Neuroendocrine tumors,Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Ovarian cancer,Sinus cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Stomach cancer,Meniere's disease , Testicular cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer. Alzheimer's disease,Autism,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Generalized dermatitis,Alzheimer's disease,Brain Tumor,Lupus,Endometrial Cancer, cerebrovascular diseases
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids,Brain Tumor, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete
  4. infertility for easy Conception. (No more adoption, with Dr Itua your problem will solve and you will have your child with ease.I have been blog Sites for a while now and today i felt like i should share my story because i was a victim too. I had endometriosis for 18 years and i never thought i would ever get a cure due to the terrible symptoms i had and this made it impossible for me to get pregnant even after 12 years of marriage and it was a serious issue. I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cure and let her contact details, i contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and i decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 this december and also I was suffering from brain cancer which I also explain to Dr Itua so he prepared herbal medicine for me which I drank for two weeks to cure my brian cancer so if you are suffering from any kind of diseases you can contact Dr Itua herbal center to get your cure successfully, i am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Epilepsy, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Lupus, ALS, HPV, Erectile dysfunction, Menstrual Cramp, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach his on (drituaherbalcenter@gmail. com Or Whatsapp Number..+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital issues.

    ReplyDelete