Monday, August 29, 2011

Blood Test Results

First and most importantly, my PCR remission test showed that I am still in remission. Fantastic!

One of the other blood tests came back showing a slight snag in my recovery. My immunoglobulin (IgG) count is low (i.e., I have an antibody defiency). This explains why my cough/cold has persisted for six weeks.

The treatment to correct the deficiency is called intravenous immunoglobulin therapy (IVIG). Over a period of six hours, I will receive an infusion of antibodies donated from between 3,000 and 10,000 healthy donors. At this time, I don't know much more than that. The registered nurse at the cancer center, who informed me of the irregular test result, said they would prefer to discuss the treatment and possible side effects with me in person.
That meeting won't happen until I'm at the cancer center on September 12th for my first dose of Daunorubicin. Of course I've already begun researching on the internet, and I will ask my other doctor about it tomorrow.

In my prior treatment schedule, the first week of October should have been a good week-- recovered from September chemo and before October chemo. Now instead, I will be receiving the IVIG that week and dealing with any side effects. Then the following week I will start the second round of Daunorubicin.

According to the nurse, the defiency may have been caused by the ten weeks of Arsenic Trioxide. I hope that is the case because then this problem should resolve itself as my body recovers from that drug. I'll be retested in November. If my antibodies (IgG) are still low, I'll need additional rounds of IVIG.

I should celebrate my remission status with chocolate cake, but I don't really have an appetite for it right now. I also can't think of anything funny to say. I wished I hadn't recevied both these test results on the same day.

But I have to remember: this is a blip. It's not cancer. I'm in remission I'm in remission I'm in remission. I need to get back on good terms with chocolate and humor ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment