Friday, March 30, 2012

One Year Later


A year ago today, Lily's heart stopped beating, and the rest of our lives changed.

This morning, Ryan dropped me off at the edge of Central Park, and I walked to work, enjoying signs of the season I missed last year. And thinking about that ultrasound appointment. Thinking about Ryan, Katelyn, my parents.

My parents flew in to support us after we lost the baby, before we knew I was sick. That's just how they are. Always there for us. I know they made several trips in the weeks that followed my diagnosis. I don't know how many. I have blurred memories of them sitting next to my hospital bed. I wish they'd been walking through Central Park with me this morning, though at least I will see them tonight.

Today is the first in a series of one-year anniversaries. Sunday will mark one year since a doctor first told me something was wrong with my blood. Next Saturday will be one year since my diagnosis. Each of these one-year anniversaries will stir traumatic flashbacks, but also good memories.

Today, I'm thinking about all that my parents did for me last year, and feeling really lucky to have them.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, my name is Ashley im 28, and I too have just gone through treatments for APL. Finally I've found someone else who has gone through the same exact subtype. I am moved to tears by your story. Lily truly was a blessing to your family yet I am sorry for the tremendous loss and lows you have experienced with the nasty cancer we've shared. Thanks for sharing your story. I feel some comfort in knowing another person is out there sharng this journey. You can find me at www.girlwiththeswirl.com best wishes to you all, Ashley. Ps-the pic of you in St Pete beach is very close to where I live!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, thank you for reaching out. I read some of your blog, and will read more. You are a brave woman, and a great writer. I've connected with some other young adult APLers, who've found me through my blog. We have a Facebook group, where we share treatment tips and woes, and a lot more. We've become good friends. If you friend me on Facebook, I will add you to our group.

      Delete
    2. Thanks and for the information about the group. I'll find you!

      Delete