Friday, July 22, 2011

Running for Research

It is 99 degrees outside. The heat index is 111. On an average temperature day, the thought of running a half marathon makes me want to faint. Today, I can't even write about running without wishing I had one of those elaborate Camelbak hydration packs strapped to my back, the clear plastic drinking tube draped over my shoulder.

Hopefully my good friend, Sarah Gleason, has one of those fancy hydration systems. If not, I'm buying her one. I am so honored by what she is doing for me. On Sunday, August 14th, she is running the Rock 'n' Roll Chicago 1/2 Marathon in my honor to raise money for the American Cancer Society.

The only reason I am alive today is because of advancements in drug therapies. Funding for cancer research made the breakthroughs for acute promyelocytic leukemia possible. There are so many other forms of cancer for which breakthroughs haven't yet happened. I believe the brilliant doctors and scientists in this world can crack other cancer codes. Every dollar given to fund their research gets them closer.

If this had happened to me just 30 years ago, I'd be dead. Instead I am thanking Sarah for her sweet gesture and friendship. Imagine how many miracles could be possible 30 years from now...

Sarah's American Cancer Society Fundraising Page

Sarah dancing at my wedding with one of Ryan's groomsmen, Dave Neiman.
Although Sarah is engaged, I'm including this photo of her and another guy because:
 A) It's a cute shot of her and B) It might guilt Dave into donating.
Again, Sarah, thank you.

1 comment:

  1. What a great pic! The run will be great and I will be thinking of you the entire time. Running 13.1 miles is nothing compared to what you have achieved in last few months!

    ReplyDelete