Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Light the Night Update: Friday, 9/7 @ 5pm - Movie Tix Raffle

At the end of the day on Friday, Katelyn will be drawing two names from those who have signed up to walk and/or donated to Team Life's a Beach in 2012. Also, I am working on team T-shirts. Details to come...

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society has become so important to me not just because of my personal experience, but because of all the friends I have made over the past year who have also been afflicted with a blood cancer.

One of my friends, Dona, just received her bone marrow transplant last week (please say a prayer for her). The day of the transplant is commonly referred to as the patient's birthday, because it literally is a new chance at life. She was diagnosed with AML last year on Mother's Day. We met her at the bone marrow donor drive, where Ryan joined the registry (Be the Match). Her daughter started kindergarten today, while she recovers from the transplant in a sterile wing of a hospital because she does not yet have an immune system. She is a brave, kind person and embodies the Life's a B**ch! attitude.

If you would like a shot at winning the movie tix, please check out Team Life's a Beach Details. We are in the process of adding a Southern Cali walk to our team, thanks to Sheila and Lauren!


Dona and her Big Kindergartener!
 
A total stranger's gift to Dona and her family: LIFE (a.k.a. bone marrow)

 

2 comments:

  1. I've know Dona practically all of my life. MY Mom & Her Mom (God Rest Her Soul) when to High School Together. Dona has been through alot during her young life. But the one thing I know about her, that is she's no quitter, but a fighter! I ask you to support her & other that have this horrabile illness!
    God Bless You!
    Karl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karl! Dona is amazing. Her attitude, her faith, her great job as a mother all inspire me. I'm so, so glad she found her match.

    ReplyDelete