Saturday, June 29, 2013

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs


 
Friday night, we participated in our town library's Second Annual Edible Book Celebration. We won three awards: Best Pre-K to 2nd Grade, Most Clever, and Coolest Mom. Well, that third one wasn't an official category, but we still won it.
 
I'd been talking to my mom about this contest ever since last summer when Katelyn and I attended the event (but didn't make a cake for it). I'd told my mom we had to enter this year, and go big. So she came out to help. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs is one of Katelyn's favorite books, and I liked the challenge of making the food look like it was raining from the clouds. 

With help from Aunt Lynn and Katelyn, my mom made the peas and carrots cupcakes, the corncob cupcakes, the mashed potato cupcakes, and the spaghetti and meatballs cake (the noodles are buttercream frosting atop vanilla cake, the meatballs are Ferrero Rocher chocolates, and the sauce is strawberry preserves), as well as the mini cupcakes that were actually supposed to look like cupcakes.
 
Our friends joined Team Meatball, and Brooke worked with me on the green frosting and sprinkle-covered base board and the marshmallow-and-frosting storm clouds (over a pizza screen), with spaghetti noodles, cupcakes, cheeseburgers, and meatballs raining down from them. Transport to the event was not easy. I drove 10mph, and Brooke rode in the way back, holding our storm clouds. Once at the library, we added all the food elements.
 
 
Once the contest was over, we dug into the components of our display. I couldn't believe how good the spaghetti and meatballs cake tasted. We had a wonderful time, and are already floating ideas for next year! It was a great team effort; we learned that it truly takes a village to make a meatball.

 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment