Monday, June 10, 2013

First Descents: Aggregate Ironman Challenge - 2.4 Mile Open Water Swim Recap

This past Saturday morning, the rain showers stopped an hour earlier than predicted, and the sun shone on the athletes of the Wyckoff YMCA Lap the Lake Open Water Swim. I participated in the 2.4 mile event-- the swim distance in an Ironman. Ryan and Katelyn came to cheer me on, and my friend, Alyson kindly lent me a wetsuit. (She's a veteran triathlete and is planning to join our Aggregate Ironman Team!)

Since I love to swim so much, I'm disappointed this leg of my First Descents challenge is over. (maybe I'll repeat it to see if I can substitute a faster time!) I took third place amongst the woman. The award was a beach towel, which Katelyn has already claimed as her own. Next year, when I won't have had chemo in the weeks before, it will be neat to do this race again and see if I can improve my time.

I've loved being involved in such a great organization, and the fact that they motivate their alums, like me, to tackle a positive challenge like this one, is further proof of the change they cause in the life's of young adult cancer survivors.

FIRST DESCENTS offers young adult cancer fighters and survivors a free outdoor adventure experience designed to empower them to climb, paddle and surf beyond their diagnosis, defy their cancer, reclaim their lives and connect with others doing the same

To learn more about our team's First Descents challenge, as well as the organization, click here.



Shelley's Aggregate Ironman Progress:
  • More Magazine's / Fitness Magazine's NYC Half-Marathon (13 mile run): 2:58
  • Wyckoff YMCA Lap the Lake Open Water Swim (2.4 mile swim): 1:03
  • Cumulative race time: 4:01
The Team's Upcoming Events:
  • Emily: August 10 Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon
  • Sarah: October 13 Chicago Marathon




 

No comments:

Post a Comment