Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Remission Test Results

After checking the mailbox for the letter from the John Theurer Cancer Center, for the third day in a row, I caved and called to get my remission test result. No news should be good news, but during the wait, there's always a "What if it's bad, and they just haven't called yet?"

In this case, no news is good news. The blood sample was negative for the APL chromosome abnormality. As of May 25th, I will officially have been in remission for one year. I'm already contemplating chocolate cake choices...

At the moment, I feel a mix of relief and trepidation. This afternoon, while lying on the couch, enduring the side effects of the ATRA, I searched the Internet for APL and came across some cases of patients who have relapsed. As if the meds don't have me in enough of a tizzy right now... I want to believe the cure rate for this disease is 100%, and I hate reading any evidence to the contrary. These people are in my prayers. I pray that they will be eating chocolate cake soon too.

2 comments:

  1. Yay Shelley- hopefully I can join you in eating cake in two weeks. Congrats- you kick butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will eat cake together next time I'm in FL!

    ReplyDelete