Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's 2011 Light the Night Awards Party

This evening I will be attending LLS's 2011 fundraising awards party. I have been invited because of the generous donations that were made in my honor last year.*
I have been forunate enough to be a recipient of something much greater than a party invite-- other people's benevolence over the past several decades. If it were not for the funds raised for leukemia research in the past, I would not be alive today. Without ATRA and Idarubicin, I would have been dead within a week of my diagnosis.

My objective this evening is to thank the current generation of fundraisers and donors, and to clap really loud when the folks who raised the big bucks are called onto stage to receive their plaques. If the mood of the event so moves me, I may even hug a few random strangers as well.



* To those of you who donated last year, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

1 comment:

  1. When Mary was pregnant with her second child, her 4-year-old son Quentin was diagnosed with leukemia. Quentin’s diagnosis spurred doctors to harvest stem cells from the cord blood and placenta of Quentin’s little sister when she was born later that year. Within three years, as a result of participation in a multicenter clinical trial focusing on the use of placenta-derived stem cells combined with umbilical cord blood stem cells, Quentin was in remission from leukemia and enjoying life as a first-grader.

    http://cordadvantage.com

    ReplyDelete