Friday, May 27, 2011

Wanted: Survivors' Tricks of the Trade

After a doctor's appointment this morning, I stopped at a nearby boutique that radiated pink. Picture Lily Pulitzer, Trollbeads, and flip-flop shaped ceramic appetizer trays. I loved it. It was the perfect setting after being in a doctor's office. That said, if Rob had accompanied me, he probably would have needed to watch a Twins double header baseball game to recover.

More uplifting than the brightly flowered decor was the discovery that the owner is a breast cancer survivor. She was diagnosed in 2009, and is in great shape now- physically and mentally. She had so many encouraging words for me, I wish I'd written them down, but she said she would post some of them here.

Throughout this experience, I have learned of personal accounts of other cancer survivors, and there are so many more survivors out there. Their successes, whichever phase they are in- treatment, remission, cured- are inspirational to me.

I try to be positive in this blog, but I definitely have dark moments. When I am rolling up my sleeve June 6th for the first dose of Arsenic to be pumped into my veins, or when I am awaiting the results of my PCR remission tests (the more accurate test that needs to show zero cancerous cells), it would be nice to read some encouraging advice/stories from those who have "been there done that."

So a selfish request: As you gather with friends and family this weekend, if you have any cancer survivors amongst your group who'd be willing/wanting to share how they keep positive (or # of years in remission, which I love hearing), please forward them my blog address. They could either post a comment, or you could send me an email with a thought or two from him/her. Nothing fancy or time consuming. Just a few words I can draw upon when I need them. It would be so great to compile some others' success stories or advice in a blog entry that I can refer back to when I am sitting through my Arsenic treatments (I will attribute any I receive as anonymous or by name, depending upon request.)

I know there are bookshelves full of survivor stories, which are good reading, but right now I am more interested in hearing about the successess of those who've touched the same people that have been supporting me.

Thank you, and have a great Memorial Day Weekend!

2 comments:

  1. My grandmother, 82 years old, had a lump in her neck removed in February of this year. Her doctor had thought it was a swollen lymph node probably from an upper respiratory infection that was just "too firm for comfort" and opted for immediate removal after originally telling her that they'd they'd keep an eye on it over time. Routine tests were done after surgery and found that she actually had lymphoma. She was instantly thrown into test after test to pinpoint everything they needed to know about her cancer and also could her heart even tolerate the treatment at her age. Turns out she's quite a strong woman, something we've always known. She has reached the end of her chemo with her faith intact, in good spirits, an increase of tiredness after each round of chemo and the disappointment of losing her still black head of hair (at 82 years old) with her heart actually becoming stronger through it all. She's prepping for the radiation treatments that will be starting in June and is extremely optimistic for the future, insisting that she will live to be 95.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelley, I’m glad to read you are out and about. You will be amazed how many people you will meet who have fought the battle against cancer. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society can connect you with people who have fought leukemia, possibly even the same type you “HAD” (yeah!!!). Contact Barb Ortiz at 201-615-6829 who is the American Cancer Society manager of patient and family services that can give ways to connect with other cancer survivors and the phone number of the contact person at your local Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I’ve heard awesome stories about the bonds that are created between survivors, and when you connect with someone who has gone through the same diagnosis I've heard it becomes a very special relationship. Aunt Laura

    ReplyDelete